Monday, July 11, 2016

Torre dos Clerigos - The Clerics Tower

You see it from all around the city - at least the old city.


It stands 76 meters tall (about 250 feet) and was the tallest building in Portugal 
for hundreds of years. 

Maybe they had Psalm 61 in mind when they designed this beautiful strong tower.

Psalm 61:1 Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. 
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 
3 For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.

Salmos 61:1
 Ouve o meu clamor, ó Deus, atenta para a 
minha oração. 

2 Desde os confins da terra eu clamo a ti, com o coração abatido
; põe-me para a rocha que é mais alta do que eu. 

3 Pois tu tens sido o meu refúgio, 
uma torre forte contra o inimigo. 


It is on the West end of the Clerics' Church - A Igreja dos Clerigos. 
Both the tower and the church are in classic Baroque style. 


Construction of the tower was from 1754-1763. It was the bell tower 
for the church which was built about 20 years before it.

After winding your way up 240 steps you'll reach an area where you can walk around 
and get a 360 degree view of the city.

Chris and I at the top!

The view of Porto from the top of the tower is incredible!

Rio Douro


Our friends waited for us at one of the cafes below.
(Just under the tree to the right of the cut out triangle.)




Around the top of the tower they have markers to tell you what buildings you are seeing in the distance and then they had this one that compares the height of the Clerics Tower to other famous tall buildings. The Clerics Tower is the first little building on the marker.



I'll share pictures of the inside of the church in another post
(It is gorgeous inside).




1 comment:

  1. I didn't even notice the markers!I guess I wasn't looking down much!

    ReplyDelete

Want to know more? Want to ask about our photography? Do you Like our photos? Leave a comment here.