Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Swallows of Portugal - As andorinhas do Portugal.

You find them all over Porto - and from what I've read, all over Portugal. Pretty little black ceramic swallows. As andorinhas are in the beautiful ceramic shops, gift shops (tourist shops) and are sold by street vendors all over Porto. They are everywhere! I've seen them each time that I've traveled to Porto. This year I couldn't resist them anymore.

2 of the 7 swallows that are now in Tennessee!
I did a little research about the swallows of Portugal. (Which means I googled and read some posts. ha!) And it looks like a ceramic/pottery artist named Bordallo Pinheiro made the first ceramic swallows in the late 1800s.
You can read more about him here - Bordallo Pinheiro

The swallows are migratory birds that return to the same place each year. They love the sunny countryside of beautiful Portugal. Because they mate for life and always return to the same location each year they became a symbol of love, devotion, family and home.

There's a hallway in my house where I've painted a tree - a family tree I suppose - and in that tree I've hung pictures of my seven grandchildren. While in Porto this June I bought 7 ceramic swallows to fly through the family tree reminding everyone of the love and devotion we have as a family.

Do you see all seven swallows?
 The swallows also reminded me of something Jesus said.

Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's consent. 
But even the hairs of your head have all been counted.
 Don't be afraid therefore; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31

Não se vendem dois passarinhos por um asse? e nenhum deles cairá em terra sem a vontade de vosso Pai.
 E até mesmo os cabelos da vossa cabeça estão todos contados.
 Não temais, pois; mais valeis vós do que muitos passarinhos. Mateus 10:29-31

1 comment:

Want to know more? Want to ask about our photography? Do you Like our photos? Leave a comment here.